Friday, May 11, 2018

*NEW* Stars & Stripes Forever Stocking Ornament

I'm slowly adding stockings to my series, this being the third.

Inspired by the Independence Day parades of my childhood small town, with the strains of America’s official march playing in the distance, I’ve put in bunting and fireworks and a girl proudly waving an American flag. (I considered putting in my all-time favorite float, a 1940’s gangster-style car completely covered in tinfoil, but I figured that it would be lost in translation, so I stuck with more universally recognized motifs (insert emoji smiley face here)).

As the great-granddaughter of immigrants in three out of the four branches of my family, I recognize the beauty of a country that has historically embraced anyone that wanted to come join their efforts with the dream of freedom. Some would say that we have lost much in the past decades, and the threat of becoming a closed country is imminent. But the promise of a better life can still be had if we remember our roots and stand on the principles that created this great land. Who is with me in promoting a country that peacefully welcomes all? Only then can we truly stand tall and brave and proudly promote the Stars & Stripes Forever!

Stitch Count: 50 x 100

Model stitched with one thread over two and one thread over one
on R&R Reproductions’ 35ct. Heartstring Blend

Using thread from Weeks Dye Works:
Deep Sea, Havana, Parchment, Red Rocks, Sanguine

Gold and Silver metallic threads of your choice
(gold and silver silk threads if you don’t like metallic)

Recommended Additional Materials:
1 fat quarter of co-ordinating cotton fabrics

Fusible interfacing, parchment paper,
or webbing of your choice

Reserve 1 length each of the
Parchment, Deep Sea, and Red Rocks floss
for braiding into the stocking loop

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will soon be in the hands of my distributors and the shops on my auto ship list. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your Stars & Stripe stocking is precious. Love the colors and the sentiment behind it.