Tuesday, February 18, 2014

*NEW* Lasting As Eternity (An Antique Sampler Adaptation)

When I spotted this old sampler at a local antique show, I was intrigued by its unfinished state. The sweet little house and phrase were enough to convince me to purchase it, even though it is rather plain. I’ve had it hanging on my wall for a few years now, wondering what on earth I would ever do with it. Finally I realized that I was intended to finish it!

Undated, unsigned, stained, faded, worn, and who knows what happened to the original stitcher that caused her to abandon it before finishing… did the school year end? Did her family run out of money to pay for her education? Did she fall ill? We will never know, but I hope that my additions would meet her approval.

I guess the antique sampler to be from the middle or later half of the 19th century, but don’t have much solid expertise to base that hunch on. I tried to stay true to that time with the motifs and border that I added The quote reads:

Tis religion that can give
Sweetest pleasure while we live
Tis religion must supply
Solid comfort when we die
After death its joy will be Lasting as eternity.

Stitch Count: 226 x 198
Model stitched on Picture This Plus 36ct. Mello using one thread over two strands of linen.

Using flosses from The Gentle Art: 0460 Grecian Gold, 7040 Lexington Green, 7049 Lambswool, 7055 Uniform Blue, 7061 Caramel Corn, 7079 Heirloom Gold, 7082 Piney Woods, 7097 Pecan Pie

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

LOVE IT!

Kathy Barrick said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! You are remarkable!!!!! xoxoxoxox Kathy

Hazel said...

It is beautiful Beth. I am glad you finished it. x

marly said...

Added to my list! Love it.

Jennifer M said...

You made it beautiful!

Sherry said...

You just amaze me! This one and Forever Young are on my 'gotta get' list now! I am leaning towards prayers and spiritual samplers more right now. Of course, I will probably change again later! lol.

HomeSpunPrims said...

Love it Beth! The antique one sure pulls at my heartstrings. Something about it. Love houses on samplers. Hugs, Lori

Monika said...

ooooo! Wonderful!