Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Sewing with Grandma

Believe it or not, I have very little patience with sitting in front of a sewing machine. I can quilt and sew just about anything, but I get claustrophobic when stuck there for any amount of time. My Mama, on the other hand, is an avid quilter and loves every bit of it. She has designed and made amazing quilts for most of her 13 grandkids (its a little hard to keep up when that many are born in the space of 11 years), as well as full sized quilts for each of her 5 kids. Not to mention all of the others that she's made over the years.

So when she approached me and asked if her oldest Granddaughter might like some sewing lessons, I jumped at the opportunity!

They started last Summer, with my girl choosing the "what" (a quilt for her doll Mimi). She was able to pick through all of Grandma's fabrics and chose the entire color scheme and layout. In between holidays and school, there weren't very many opportunities to get it finished (a great disappointment, as it was intended to be a Christmas present for Mimi). But at last, the final day came, and the project was finished.

I'm so proud of my little one. She took to the craft like I should have known she would. We are a family of makers, after all. She did all of the stitching and stuck with it even when there were stitches that needed to be re-done. She even chose the thread colors and did the tying to hold it together.

These two are already trying to decide what their next sewing project will be, and none of us could be any happier with the arrangement.
Almost immediately after finishing the quilt, a box was found and Mimi got to open her gift, much to the amusement and delight of everyone present.

3 comments:

Mouse said...

awwww what a wonderful achievement and Mimi looks delighted at her quilt ...well done and here's to more quilt making in the future :) love mouse xxxxx

Vickie said...

Aww. I love everything about this post.

Robin in Virginia said...

What a wonderful way to spend time and share skills! I really enjoyed reading this post, Beth.