Friday, September 28, 2007

Hot Cocoa for a Chocoholic

I have never been a big fan of powdered hot cocoa mixes, finding them much too sweet and not nearly chocolatey enough. But I never complained, instead finding comfort in strong, black coffee.

Then I saw the movie Chocolat a few years ago, and began to have deep longings for a taste of that chocolate; just a little sip, maybe? And so began my restless search.

I thought that my search was ended when a certain retail coffee chain of Northwest origins came out with "Chantico". Oh, one sip and I was in heaven (or at least as close as can be found here on earth!).

But the product was discontinued after just one year.

That's it, I thought to myself with a stomp of the foot, I will just have to create my own chocolatey heaven. And after some trial and error, here is my resulting recipe (be warned, it is not for those who are satisfied with traditional hot cocoa!)



In a small sauce pan, whisk together 1 Tablespoon sugar and 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Carefully add 1 cup of whole milk, whisking until combined. Heat over medium high heat, stirring often, just until it starts to put up gentle steam vapors. Pour into your favorite mug, top with fresh, unsweetened whipped cream, and enjoy!

If you are feeling a little feisty and want some extra spice, add a pinch of cayenne pepper in with the cocoa and sugar.

3 comments:

Karl said...

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it.

joann boswell said...

Mmmm...I remember when you, Jack & I shared your hot chocolate last Christmas...yum flashbacks!

heather said...

Oh, a girl after my own heart! I will have to give this a try.