Thursday, February 05, 2009

New Pattern Release... With One Accord

I stitched the model on 28 count even-weave linen; finished size is approximately 12 by 17 inches, and the stitch count is 170 by 242.

This sampler was inspired by an old and extremely naïve motif sampler that I once saw. Full of fanciful yet primitive images, my imagination assigned the needlework to a young girl from a poor family. Without benefit of formal schooling or the use of published sampler-working books, I imagined her stitching away with only the dreams in her head for guide (and the watchful eye of her Mother!).

I duplicated the overall look of the original sampler, but deviated quite a bit by adding more cakes, animals, and flowers, and generally re-arranging to suit my own purposes! The quote was a bit of an afterthought, but until I added it to the bottom, the sampler somehow just didn’t seem “right”. I wrote the quote specifically for this sampler; it reads:
"In diligenc I stch each day
but at nit upon my nees
I hope and pray to sale away
acros the shining sees
wher choclate cake is plentyful
and little girls can play
with boncy balls and pretty dolls
all the liv long day"


I will be listing the pattern in my etsy shop tomorrow afternoon, once I have a pile of them printed and ready to ship. It will retail for $12, but if you contact me by 8 am Pacific Time Friday the 6th of February, I will consider yours a pre-order, and will sell it to you for $10.

8 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Beth!
That verse old me - how wonderful. The sampler is gorgeous but the verse just sweetens it extra much. Looking forward to buying mine!

Tanya :)

Yoyo said...

The sampler is beautiful but Tanya is right the verse is marvelously well rit! You're right too, the verse makes the sampler complete. Anyway, I love it.

Leigh

Julie said...

What a beautiful addition to your collection of designs, Beth. It's fantastic! I simply adore your color choices.

Jeana said...

Consider mine pre-ordered! I'm so excited!

Katrina said...

Gorgeous and I love the verse, can't wait to get mine :-).

Melissa said...

What a beautiful and sweet sampler. I would love to buy one. Please consider this as a pre-order. Thanks Beth!

lena-lou said...

I love your sampler and would like to buy on too please , I don't know what time it is in your part of the world for a pre-order ;-) but it is tea time in the UK :)
Many thanks , have a nice weekend.

Sherry said...

My payment is winging it's way to you as I type! Love the sampler and the verse is perfect!