Monday, May 31, 2010

Cake

Those of you that have been reading my blog for a long time may remember that I used to dabble in wedding cake decorating.

You may also remember that I swore I would never be doing weddings again.

I lied.

About a month ago, a friend contacted me about doing her niece's cake, and after a little thought, I decided I would give it a go. It was an opportunity to earn a little income, and in this tight economy, I just didn't feel right turning it down. I was able to give the bride a much better price than she could find elsewhere (for a downright delicious cake, I might add), and I was able to bring home some income for my little family.

Surprisingly, I *almost* enjoyed the process this time. I had forgotten what it was like to bake, assemble, and decorate a cake without a baby in the house. My kids are old enough now that I can send them up to their room to play, or turn on Sesame Street, and they are content to let me focus on my task without too many interruptions.

Don't quote me on this, but I just might hang onto those wedding cake supplies just a little while longer...

7 comments:

Annie said...

What a fabulous cake! And I love that shoe on top. I think you should definitely stay in this game!

Paulette said...

Wow, Beth! That's an amazing cake! You have incredible patience.. I took a decorating class years ago, and never was able to master those danged roses. Ugh.

Paulette

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Stunning - you've got the Cake Boss beat - gorgeous!

Tanya :)

Catherine said...

Beautiful!!

Stitching Cat said...

What a fabulous cake! Very Elegant!

joann boswell said...

Is that navy blue? It looks just like what I want - except I want black. Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Maybe requests like these will cause you to put the tools away (click on picture of armadillo for slide show)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/06/01/wacky-world-grooms-cakes/