Thursday, October 20, 2011

Smouldering Green Tomato Chutney

I have a friend who makes a mean Tomato Chutney.

If you have an abundance of Red Tomatoes, then A.) consider yourself Blessed, and B.) ignore my recipe and instead, go make Colleen's version.

I didn't make massive changes, unless you consider using unripe green blobs instead of gorgeous Scarlett-hued beauties to be a massive change.

But amazingly, if simmered long enough, and with the proper seasonings, green tomatoes can be transformed into pure perfection.
I dubbed the recipe Smouldering Green Tomato Chutney because it isn't just spicy, it is full of a warm heat. The kind of warm heat that makes your whole belly cozy, and lingers in a "Mmmmm, I just ate something so good I don't want to brush my teeth" kind of way.

But don't take my word for it.
Smouldering Green Tomato Chutney

8 pounds green (unripe) tomatoes
2 pounds dried apricots
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups "other" vinegar (the first batch I used Malt, the second I used Balsamic- both were good)
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 heaping tablespoons cayenne pepper
12 cloves garlic
4 to 6 inches of ginger root, depending on how thick it is and how much you like ginger

Remove stems and any blemishes from clean tomatoes. Cut into quarters. Using a food processor, pulse the green tomatoes in batches until they are reduced to pieces more or less the size of peas or sunflower seeds. Dump into a deep stockpot with a thick, insulated bottom (or else it will want to burn).

Peel the ginger, then cut into 1/8 inch cubes. Put it into the processor.
Peel the garlic, then toss whole cloves into the processor with the ginger.
Toss the apricots into your food processor with the garlic and ginger and pulse until roughly the same size dice as the tomatoes. Toss into your pot.

Add sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and vinegars. Stir together, over medium heat. Bring to a low simmer, uncovered, and cook for 3-6 hours, stirring often, until it is very thick and about half its original volume.

Put into warm, sterilized jars, seal, and finish in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Eat it on fried egg sandwiches, on crackers with cream cheese, warmed and poured over grilled pork chops, or as a garnish for tomato soup. I have so many jars in my pantry that I will most likely give a few away as Christmas gifts. Shhhh...

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow! It really darkened, didn't it? I was expecting green. It also tastes good as a condiment on grilled cheese. Yum.

Ann said...

That is gorgeous. I love google blog search! I think apricot sounds so much more interesting than apple for the second fruit... and much less fussy chopping! Thank you for the inspiration.