Monday, April 07, 2014

*NEW* Simple Living Sampler

John Burroughs was an American naturalist and essayist important in the evolution of the U.S. conservation movement. Many of his essays first appeared in popular magazines. He is best known for his observations on birds, flowers and rural scenes, but his essay topics also range to religion, philosophy, and literature.

I recently stumbled across an excerpt from one of his works, and thought it would be a good sampler quote. Taken from his book “Summit of the Years”, the words on this sampler are:

“I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see.”

In the book, he goes on to say, “The longer I live the more my mind dwells upon the beauty and the wonder of the world, I have loved the feel of the grass under my feet and the sound of the running streams by my side, the hum of the wind in the treetops has always been good music to me and the face of the fields has often comforted me more than the faces of men.”

I would have put the entire paragraph on the sampler, but I thought you’d get tired of stitching letters!

I am so thankful to have a new model stitcher, Jane Lemm, who so generously gave of her time and stitching ability to create this sampler. Without her, its likely that I would have fallen behind schedule this year, and not had as many designs to keep your baskets full.

Stitch Count: 220 x 141
Model stitched on R&R Reproductions’ 35ct. Bitter Betty Brew
Using flosses from The Gentle Art: 0150 Evergreen, 0410 Tarnished Gold, 0420 Gold Leaf, 0450 Cornhusk, 0560 Nutmeg, 0590 Terra Cotta, 7019 Pomegranate, 7039 Bayberry, 7045 Mountain Mist, 7061 Caramel Corn, 7072 Raspberry Frost

Frame was found at a local thrift store.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com 

6 comments:

Natasha said...

I just adore this qoute! Thank you this may have to be added to my stash :)

Donna G. said...

Beth,

Great design! Adding to my "list"!

Anonymous said...

Oh my - I love!! I am waiting for Forever Young to get to my mailbox and now I see this. I will put this to the top of my wish list, especially since I'm from Kansas!

Keep up the great work!

Michelle

cucki said...

I just love this quote so much
And it's a very pretty sampler :)
Hugs x

Pam in IL said...

Your sampler is beautiful!

Kevin said...

Absolutely LOVE the verse on this one, Beth. And I'm so happy you shared the rest if his excerpt in your blog post today. Wonderful words that I wish we could all live by. Life is too short. Thanks for another beautiful design!