Monday, October 17, 2016

*NEW* Do You Hear What I Hear? Stocking Ornament

For years now, I’ve been seeing such darling cross-stitched stocking ornaments being offered by others in the industry. I never intended to jump on the bandwagon and create my own, but have had enough requests now and a few encouraging nudges from some shop owners, so I decided to take the plunge. From there, it was just a matter of drawing a stocking shape that would be similar enough to match other stockings that you’ve collected, but unique enough to be my own and not a copy. Figuring out the stitch area didn’t take too much trial and error, and the inspiration for the overall design came to me in an instant.

I’ve always loved the Christmas carol “Do You Hear What I Hear?” Written in 1962 by Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne Baker as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Decades later, that particular crisis is over, replaced by multiple other dangerous and violent situations around the world. The message is still as valid today as it was then, “Pray for peace, people everywhere”.

This ornament is intended to last through the whole winter, not just the Christmas season. I hope you enjoy it. And if you, like me, have never finished a tiny little stocking, You Can Do It! It really wasn’t as difficult as I imagined, and I think I’m hooked. I am fully on the stocking ornament bandwagon now, so look out world!

Stitch Count: 50 x 100
Model stitched with one thread over two and one thread over one
on R & R Reproductions’ 35ct. Heartstring Blend

Using thread from The Gentle Art:
Gold Leaf, Cinnamon, Buttermilk, Piney Woods, Ruby Slipper

Conversion to DMC included.

Recommended Additional Materials:
1 fat quarter of co-ordinating cotton fabrics

Fusible interfacing or webbing of your choice

Reserve three 12” lengths of floss for creating the braided stocking loop:
1 Piney Woods
2 Ruby Slipper

This design is now available in my etsy shop, through the shops that are on my auto ship list, and will soon be in the hands of my distributors. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

5 comments:

Julie said...

Very cute, Beth! Glad to see a stocking coming so soon! Thanks!
I'm back into blogging. Come check me out, please!!! ;-)

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh my goodness, Beth! It is simply precious. Well done!

Thomasina said...

This is my favorite Christmas carol of all time.
I am so glad to see it being stitched.
Will have to get the set.
Love the stockings.

CathieJ said...

I never knew the story behind one of my favorite Christmas songs. Your ornament is so pretty.

Shelly said...

My favorite Christmas carol! I did not know that about this carol. Your stocking looks great!