We have this weird, prehistoric-looking wildflower that pops up each summer in various places around our property. They grow to be easily 7 feet tall by the end of July, so they create quite a statement, even if they aren't the most lovely of wildflower.
I glanced out the kitchen window a few days ago, and saw a strange grey-ish lump on the side of the prehistoric flower head...
What on earth?... Having a suspicion of what it could be, I grabbed my telephoto lense and snuck around the side of the house. Sure enough, a woodpecker!
Eating seeds? Bugs? Whatever he was doing, he was very happy, and allowed me to snap several photos before he swooped off into the forest.
It doesn't show, but he/she had a red crest on the very top of its head.
That one little incident inspired this design, a free chart for you to stitch up however you might like... (left click to get the enlarged version, then save to your desktop).
You may do what you like with this little freebie, even stitch it up to sell, but please give credit to me as the designer- otherwise, there are no strings attached.
Here is my version of "Woodpecker Pair" stitched on chunky prairie cloth (27 count!), and turned into a pinkeep.
I used WDW Havana, Mocha, Honeysuckle, Bullfrog, Curry, and Brick.
I backed it with some of my favorite fabric, a Williamsburg fraktur pattern, filled it with a mixture of sawdust, crushed walnut shells, and dried lavendar (I still need to embroider my initals and date).
Its not my best work... I used the wrong wool for the sheep's tongues around the edge, so it is fraying a little, and the corner tongues keep wanting to stick staight up(or down)... but, it is still a fun piece of work, and smells delicious too.
If you are interested, I will have Jack draw a name on Wednesday morning from all who leave a comment on this post that they want to be included.