Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Pretty Something

I have this little "vase" that I found at a thrift store for a dollar.

It is actually the bottom of an old miniature oil lamp that has gone pink from exposure to sunlight.

So charming and sweet and lovely, and the evening light makes it glow.

It always makes me happy to re-purpose something old and discarded. I wish I could have a copy of the journal of its life.

Who used it to light the way to bed and perhaps write a letter or read a few pages? Who left it sitting on the windowsill, thinking it lovely enough in form to use as decoration? Who broke the chimney and lamp works, but still held onto the base? And who decided to donate it, instead of throwing it out with the trash?

Oh, and in case you are wondering, the flower cluster is from a Crocosmia growing in my friend's yard. She brought it over along with some really yummy cookies. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Mouse said...

that is a really cute way to up cycle :) and love that flower too .. mine haven't flowered yet and I have orange ones :) love mouse xx