Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Adjusting

I might be a little scarce around here for a week or two. Mainly because these two are now in school, as of today, and the new schedule is a bit grueling.
Half day Kindergarten and full-day 2nd grade. Which translates into three trips a day for me. Don't feel too bad for me though, I'm the one making the choice to spend the time in the car with them rather than put them on the bus, and its only four and a half miles each way (following photo taken on our driveway while driving 10 mph... just so you don't think I let her hang out the window while driving down the highway for pete's sake!)
That extra mid-day trip does feel awkward and leaves me without any long stretches for involved projects.

Speaking of involved projects, the other reason I'll be playing hooky from this blog is thanks to umpteen pounds of apples and pears to put up as quick as I can so that I don't miss out on the bumper crop of green beans that just now started to come into season.
Wishing a bit for the old days when it was kosher to keep the kids out of school to help with the harvest! Not that they're any good at peeling pears yet, but being able to keep them in pjs all day while I preserve like a homesteader might be nice...

5 comments:

Jeana said...

That was my schedule last year. And will be again in two more years. It's tough not having those long stretches. I hope you find a good rhythm soon.

Robin in Virginia said...

Best wishes for a fabulous school year for both of your kids!

Good luck with your canning/preserving!

Robin in Virginia

Kaisievic said...

Oh those were the days - lol! I remember when I had one child in 3 yr old kinder, one in 4 yr old and one in school and I worked 2 and a half days a week - a part-time nanny proved to be the best solution.
Have fun with all the driving. I hope that you and the kids have a fabulous year.

Penny said...

Pretty pic of your little girl in the side mirror... Good luck to you all as you start another school year... my kids are grown and out, but I still remember the excitement of a new year! Hope it's wonderful for you all!

P.J. said...

Lovely canning! Just did my first tester batch of crabapple and spiced crabapple jellies. I am small potatoes compared to the canning my mother did and my grandmother still does. It is such a rewarding process. Cute first day of school pics; happy school year!