Monday, May 11, 2015

*NEW* Summertime Coverlet

Inspired once again, by the graphic appeal of woven antique coverlets from the beginning of the 1800’s, meet my newest design!

I pulled the various elements of this pattern from different antique coverlets, combining them in my own way. The included chart only has one row of the flower rosettes, but I chose to stitch the model with another repeat, in tribute to the central portion of most antique coverlets which held repeating patterns. I was tempted to take the pattern up for one more repeat, but got a little tired of only stitching with blue, and felt that I had probably done enough.

I chose the name “Summertime Coverlet” not just because of the nature of the motifs, which remind me of sunny days, but also because in my imagination, most middle and upper class households back in the day had heavy quilts in the winter time, but reserved their lighter coverlets for summer use. I don’t know if this is actually how it worked, but if I was a weaver and designing a light summer cover for my own bed, I would fill it with frolicking animals and flower bouquets.

Stitch count: 165 x 310.
Stitched with one thread over two on R&R Reproductions’ 35ct. Old Mill Java.

Using thread from The Gentle Art: 7055 Uniform Blue (4 skeins).

Frame by Valley House Primitives.

Full alphabet and number set included so that you can customize it with your own initials and date.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

4 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Beth,

Love your new design. I visited this coverlet museum last fall with two ladies from my stitching group. It was simply amazing. Thought you might find it interesting as well. http://www.coverletmuseum.org/

Denise

sandi s said...

I love it! It's so fresh looking. Hugs,

Donna G. said...

Beautiful!

JEN said...

I spy a spool of thread at the center! :) Wonderful, fresh idea and design!