Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Rest of January

Once the snow melted, our month was everything that it should be. I love that empty fresh space that January occupies. It might just be in my head, but once I make it through the cluttered and busy holiday season and there are a few months yet before Spring gardening needs to happen, I feel light and free. I love the months when I can pause a little and regather myself.

Of course, now those empty months aren't so empty as they used to be, because I spend them preparing for the Spring Market in Nashville. But it's different, somehow.

After taking down the Christmas decorations, I left much of my usual decor in their boxes. My window sills are mostly bare, my mantle is sparsely adorned. With the big braided rug gone from the living room, I am enjoying a sense of space that is refreshing. My house isn't very big. Each room is *just barely* big enough for the furniture that occupies it. Add in a bunch of clutter, no matter how carefully curated, and I start to feel a bit claustrophobic. No more. At least until I open a few certain closets, that is...
I don't usually comment individually on my photos, but this next one needs a little special mention. It was taken by my 11 year old. I was de-lighting the tree, sorting through the strings, getting ready to box them up for another year. "Stop, Mama! Don't move!" he said, then snapped this picture. I love watching the creativity coming out in my babies. Didn't he do a great job?

2 comments:

Karen said...

How I enjoyed reading and looking at this post. I adore winter and snow but live in NC near the coast so very little snow is ever here. Once a year usually and lasts 1-2 days. Not enough for this northern woods blooded girl! I wanted to ask which program you have for design patterns. I want to purchase one but haven't really seen blog posts about their use and owner preferences. I will have to research that some more. Beautiful peaks at your work and can't wait to see!

Harriet said...

As always, great photos. And your son captured a magical moment! You should get that framed for him. Whatever you were baking in that skillet looked delicious too.

Harriet