Thursday, August 21, 2008

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

This is a recipe that I got from my BLESTB sisters... It has been circulating online for awhile, but I thought I would share it with my readers.

For the last several years, I have been trying to convert all of my cleaning products over to as natural as possible, because I really hate the idea of those chemicals around my babies. I use a vinegar solution for most of my regular cleaning, but hadn't found anything for laundry as yet that I liked. Well, so far this one looks to be a winner. I have used it several times, and my clothes seem to be coming out just as clean as before.


You will need:
16 cups water
1 bar of soap (Ivory, Castile, or whatever you have on hand), grated
1 cup of washing soda
1 1/2 cups borax

Boil the 16 cups of water in a large pot. While boiling, add your grated soap and whisk continuously until it completely dissolves. Remove from heat.

Next add borax and washing soda. Whisk it up really well. Continue to whisk throughout the day as it cools. You may use it right away if you so desire, in its liquid form, but ultimately, it turns into this weird grainy textured gel.

I recommend a 1 gallon bucket with a lid, or other wide mouthed sealable container. I put mine into a gallon jar, but with the small mouth, I am struggling each time to scoop it out. I use about 1/2 cup per load.

For front loading machines…use 2 heaping tablespoons

This a no/low suds soap…

Sources:
farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
hazelruthes.blogspot.com(go to June 6 post)

No comments: