Monday, July 08, 2013

*NEW* A Weaver's Shuttle

Inspired once again, by the graphic appeal of woven antique coverlets from the beginning of the 1800’s, meet my newest design!

I first spotted the quote, “My days are swifter than a weavers shuttle” on an old sampler, but a tiny bit of research revealed that it is originally from the King James Version of the Bible, found in Job 7:6. Used in this context, it is a reflection of a time when death was a frequent, familiar, and expected occurrence. Young sampler workers were directed by their teachers to stitch phrases that led them to reflect on the shortness of their lives in comparison with the length of eternity. I imagine that this was done in order to either comfort them, knowing that they had already or would soon experience the death of a loved one, or to frighten them into good behavior!

Half-size Model stitch count: 153 x 126
Stitched on Picture This Plus 32ct. Sand

Full-size Model stitch count: 153 x 219
Stitched on Picture this Plus 40ct. Sand

Using thread from The Gentle Art: 7055 Uniform Blue

Both frames by Valley House Primitives:
MCD with corner appliques, Lamplight, Small Swirl

Included with the chart is a full alphabet and number set so that you can customize it with your initials and date.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Just beautiful!

Melissa said...

Love it. There's something very serene about this piece.

marly said...

Well done! Beautiful design.

Penny said...

Such a beautiful design....

P.J. said...

Very interesting...nice design.

Donna G. said...

These are very pretty!

Paula said...

Love...

Kathy Barrick said...

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!!