Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Forward

So much of this past year has been hard, uncertain, left unfinished. Dreams yet to be fulfilled, goals put off for yet another year, visions of peace marred by the incursions of sadness, anxiety, frustration. I found myself this past week, as I lay on the couch fighting a fever that lasted for days, wishing I could have just one more month to get everything in order before the New Year started. As if the turning of a digit cared one whit for my to-do list.
I wanted to feel closure, accomplishment, a happy resolution to 2013.
Then I read this post on Ann Voskamp's blog (go ahead, click the link and go read it, I'll wait right here).
"How in the world do you step hopeful into the next year when you tripped messy through the last year? How do you stand brave with all the smiling rest and ring in the new year when the old year still feels a bit like a millstone around the neck? What if everyone else is making New Year’s resolutions and you just want New You solutions?"
And so, I let it all go. All of it.
I breathe, long and slow and deep, and with the exhale,
all the things that I've been holding over my own head,
they fly free into the atmosphere.

I'm starting fresh today, with a clean slate, asking with an open heart,
"what do You, who holds the world, hold for me this year?"
"And there’s the utter release of being more grateful for what is than feeling guilty for what isn’t — The moving forward always happening in the relief that all the guilt is covered by His grace."
A Happy, Fresh, Clean-Slate New Year to you all!

9 comments:

Kevin said...

What a moving entry, Beth. Thank you so much for sharing this. One of my favorite Broadway shows I've been fortunate enough to see was "Sunday in the Park with George" about the artist George Seurat (sp?). It ends with the line, "White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So many possibilities." I've always loved that as I feel it applies to all of us, not just artists or writers. Wishing you much happiness in 2014 as you begin anew with your blank slate.

Cheryl said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. That is exactly what I needed today!

Anonymous said...

I have never liked the beginning of a new year. I love this post and will be stepping forward. Beautiful photos

Robin in Virginia said...

Beth, what a wonderful thought-provoking post along with the photos. Wishing you peace and hope for this New Year.

Robin in Virginia

Pam in IL said...

Perfect post and just what I needed today! Happy 2014!

Tammy said...

Thank you Beth.

Simply Victoria said...

Thanks for sharing that. The murkiness of what 2014 could be is definitely shrouded by the past of 2013 for me. This is encouraging.

Jennifer M said...

A beautiful post Beth, touches my heart. I've had this feeling of needing something...not knowing what, I think this may be my answer:) Thank you deeply.

Teri said...

Thank you.