Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Tales from the Hive

In today's hive inspection, I was super excited to see a small patch of capped honey. This means the nectar that is in these cells has aged enough to evaporate out the right amount of water to make the perfect consistency of honey. It also means they don't need to eat it right away because they are gathering enough and/or have enough currently stored.

I spotted my Queen again, which was a thrill. Otherwise, I just looked and watched and tried to identify the different things one sees in a honey bee hive, such as pollen, worker bee brood, and drone brood.

I also scraped enough wayward comb from the wrong places to make a decent ball of wax. I'll put it into a jar with a lid and store it in the freezer, adding to it as I need to, until I have enough to try my hand at rendering.





No comments: