Friday, July 13, 2007

What's For Breakfast...

Oh me, oh my! I have found the most delightful muffin recipe ever! If you, like me, love the flavors of whole grains and are trying to increase your fiber intake, YOU MUST TRY THIS RECIPE.


Morning Glory Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oats (not the instant kind)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon wheat bran
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
1 large egg
1 cup chopped pitted dates
3/4 cup chipped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried pineappple
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed

Preheat oven to 350. Place 18 muffin cup liners in muffin tin; coat liners with cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture.

Combine yogurt, banana, and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in dried fruits and nuts.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with flaxseed.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.

Oh, my goodness! These are SO good. I don't care for dates, and didn't have them or the pineapple in my pantry, so I substituted dried apricots and cranberries. And in place of the walnuts I used almonds. I imagine the fruit/nut combinations could be without limit, so have fun and use your imagination. Enjoy!

No comments: