Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Pattern Release... I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm

I have long admired blackwork embroidery with its simple elegance and monochrome color scheme. I realize that cross-stitching is not a traditional way to create blackwork, but since I am not very practiced in embroidery techniques, I present for you here a modern interpretation.

To create this design, I studied pictures of antique samplers in my digital collection, looking for wintery borders and bands. I copied or adapted them to fit the design, and added some key phrases from a favorite Winter song, written by Irving Berlin in 1937…

The snow is snowing,
the wind is blowing,
But I can weather the storm.
What do I care how much
it may storm?
I've got my love to keep me warm...

Stitch Count: 123 x 233

Model stitched on
Weeks Dye Works 35ct. Straw linen

Using Weeks Dye Works flosses:
3900 Kohl, 1331 Brick

The lovely frame is an antique.

It is now available by directly contacting me (beth@heartstringsamplery.com), or through my new etsy shop.

18 comments:

Patti said...

WOW!
What more can be said...
I absolutely LOVE this piece!

I never stitch pieces this big. But I can enjoy the chart. And maybe pick my favorite bands to stitch in a smaller piece.

Fits my **Snowflake Bentley** frame of mind lately (see blog)

Congratulations on an incredible design!

Blessings,
Patti

Adee aka kiwigirl42 said...

I adore this. it is absolutely fabulous and so personal to you. well done

Unknown said...

How beautiful! I have just discovered your lovely work and look forward to purchasing a few pieces in the near future.

Dora said...

Beth,
I love this design(!) and the background info on how you created this. Beautiful as well that you photographed it outdoors.

Julie said...

It's beautiful! Nice job!

Amy said...

Very gorgeous. I just discovered your designs. This wil be on my wishlist!!!!

Fantastic photo also.

Kudos

Blessings,
Amy

Berit said...

Golly, but this is a BAP! I'm adding this to my "saving my allowance for" list, which for now is catching everything I want.

Catherine said...

Stunning! I love your details of how your designed this one. It will surely go on my ever growing wish list!

~Judy~ said...

So beautiful!!

Nancy said...

This is gorgeous! I love everything about it. The verse is wonderful isn't it? How fun that you did a modern interpretation of blackwork. Now the design won't be intimidating!

Nancy said...

P.S. Forgot to say I love the antique frame!

barbara r-g said...

great design and so unique. i love that you made your own rules, why not. that is what creativity is all about.

Tracey said...

I usually don't care much for blackwork but I LOVE this! Beautiful! And great song too. ;)

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I love this because I like monochromatic pieces and also love, love this song. I played it alot during the holidays.
Great design, Beth!

Paulette said...

Oh WOW!! This is a must-have-must-stitch for me!! Wonderful!!!

Paulette

Faye said...

What an absolutely awesome piece! Congrats and I will have to make a purchase..I love your adaption from the original~~ Faye

Teri said...

Great design! Love it!!

MyLifesAStitch said...

This is AWESOME!!!!! I think it might be my favorite of yours yet - and that's saying something! Although... the sneak peek of the Birth Sampler looks like it is going to be stunning as well!