Monday, May 12, 2014

*NEW* Be It Ever So Humble

Don’t we all love samplers with houses? I know I sure do, and it seems I never get tired of designing them either. This one has a sweet checker-board lawn, single gigantic and cheerful flower, floral border, and those timeless words,
“Be it ever so Humble, there’s no place like Home”.

"Home! Sweet Home!" is a song that has remained well known for over 150 years. Adapted from American actor John Howard Payne's 1823 opera Clari. the song's melody was composed by Englishman Sir Henry Bishop with lyrics by Payne. The words are as follows:

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home;
A charm from the skies seems to hallow us there,
Which seek thro' the world, is ne'er met elsewhere.
Home! Home!
Sweet, sweet home!
There's no place like home
There's no place like home!

The song was reputedly banned from being played in Union Army camps during the American Civil War for being too reminiscent of hearth and home and likely to incite desertion.

Stitch Count: 134 x 109
Model stitched on Picture This Plus 28ct. Sand

Using The Gentle Art floss: 0420 Gold Leaf, 1020 Pebble, 1190 Fisherman’s Wharf, 7004 Brethren Blue, 7007 Cidermill Brown, 7061 Caramel Corn,
7080 Endive, 7082 Piney Woods

Frame by Valley House Primitives.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very Sweet! Love the big flower (and, of course, the house!)

Unknown said...

Really beautiful pattern so true written!

Pam in IL said...

I love it!