Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Unveiling

You are the very first to see my latest creation.

This is the first full-sized reproduction sampler that I have designed, and will be selling as a pattern. It is based on an oldie that I have admired in my digital sampler file, but the photo I have is blurry, so I took plenty of artistic license. It took me two months to finish stitching the model. It is still unframed, but otherwise finished, and I am SO happy!

Drumroll, please...



I didn't have quite enough of the darker linen, so, in the spirit of the resourceful women in past centuries, I simply spliced another strip of linen to the bottom! I was a little nervous about how it would turn out, but I couldn't be happier with the final result.

I know that most of my readers know little or nothing about the history of samplers. Feel free to ask away, but be prepared, because I absolutely LOVE old samplers, and you will probably get bored long before I run out of things to tell you.

My brilliant Son saw it on the counter and had a great time practicing his alphabet...


And then he flipped it over to make sure I kept the back neat. :)

4 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Beth, this is beautiful! I would love to hear more about the history of samplers but, not knowing much, have no idea what questions to ask first. Maybe others will the questions going...

primitivebettys said...

Beth!!!! I LOVE it! You have really created a family heirloom with this one! But, when Jack starts school.... will he remember the letter 'J'? :) The addition of the extra piece of linen is masterful!

I'm in line for the pattern - please. :)

Smiles,
Betty

primitivebettys said...

Beth! I LOVE this! You have created a wonderful heirloom! Will Jack remember the letter 'J' when he gets to school? :) The addition of the piece of linen is masterful. I'm in line for the pattern too please. :)

Smiles,
Betty

Amy said...

Amazing job Beth! Very talented woman you are. By the way, we have a BLOG now as well . . .

it is www.crombies.blogspot.com