Friday, February 24, 2012

*NEW* Beatrice Godfrey (a Faithfully Reproduced Antique Sampler)

When I spotted this old sampler in an online auction, it was love at first sight. I placed a low bid, fitting my budget at the time, and hoped for the best. You know the end of the story already, for indeed, this sampler came to my home to live.

Undated, I guess it to be from the beginning or middle of the 19th century, but don’t have much solid expertise to base that hunch on. The person that I purchased it from bought it from a Philadelphia estate. Searches online for a Beatrice Godfrey in Pennsylvania have not turned up any details. I may one day find the time or proper tools to unearth the origins of this sampler but for now, I am content to live with the mystery.

The quote reads:
Short is our longest day of life
And soon its prospect ends
But on that day’s uncertain date
Eternity depends

Stitch Count: 180 x 163
Model stitched on Northern Cross 35ct. Cream linen that was coffee-stained prior to stitching.

Using flosses from The Gentle Art:
7057 Roasted Marshmallow, 7077 Cucumber, 7080 Endive, 7093 Wheat Fields

And flosses from Weeks Dye Works:
1331 Brick, 2104 Deep Sea, 2168 Monkey Grass

DMC conversion is available upon request.

Frame by Valley House Primitives.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, is being displayed this weekend by Norden Crafts at the TNNA show in Nashville, and will be going out to my other distributor and the shops on my automatic shipments list today. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email:beth@heartstringsamplery.com

No comments: