Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Barnwood

I am not one that would normally choose to use barnwood as a decoration in my home... not that I don't love the rustic look, and certainly not that I don't love old barns, I just prefer wood with darker, richer patinas.

I somewhat by accident last winter started a collection of vintage children's woolens, and have been wanting to display them on a peg board in our hallway. When my handy husband brought a piece of my poor little collapsed barn to the house, suggesting it as the board to use, I simply couldn't say no.

He added some little white knobs that my Mama gave to me a few years ago, and hung it below my hall mirror. The mirror is one that I bought as a teenager at a garage sale for fifty cents, then used it for YEARS as my vanity; once I was all grown up and married, my dear, creative husband crafted a frame for it... isn't it nice? The perfect spot for displaying my other accidental collection of children's shoe forms.

And just because I know you are curious, the lights reflected in the mirror come from the top of my old upright piano, where I display our Christmas cards each year.

The little vintage plastic village is a complete departure from the antiques that I love, but is an etsy find that I simply could not resist... my Mama has an identical Alpine village, and every single year of my childhood it was my most favorite of her decorations.

5 comments:

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I love lit up villages like that at the holidays! That's one thing I've collected for the past 15 years and we have quite a collection now! ;)
I spread them out on my piano as well. I love putting them out and placing all the little people and trees and stuff with them.
I like that better than decorating the tree actually.
Your mirror is so pretty and I love the barnwood idea!! Those shoes are so cute too.
Enjoy your Christmas holidays!

Jennifer Dalenberg
Feathers in the Nest

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Wow! Thank you for the walk down memory lane - I had one of those lighted houses when I was a kid. I wonder where it is - have to ask my Mom. Your etsy find is wonderful - enjoy!!!

Tanya

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love your peg rack for the woolens and neat story about the mirror:)

I remember having a lighted village under the tree when I was little:D
Rondell

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing! It all looks so cozy.

The Boyds said...

I love the Christmas card display! I'll have to try that next year.