Thursday, June 03, 2010

TA-DA!

Begun in the latter half of 2005 as I prepared for the birth of my first child, this quilt has been put on hold countless times, as is the nature of many large projects.

I was making quick work of it until Jack came along 3 weeks early. It is entirely possible that had I carried him to term, I would have finished it before his birth. But I guess it just wasn't meant to happen that way.

Instead, it has been a project-in-the-works for nearly 5 years. But last night I put in my final stitches, and it is DONE!

The front is made entirely out of scrap denim, cut from worn out work jeans, outdated denim jumpers, and too-big or too-small dungarees.

The outer two rows of blocks on three sides are meant to hang over the edge of his twin-size bed (see the darker bits in the nine-patches around the outside? I ran out of my lighter denims and had to improvise!)

I pieced it on my hand-me-down sewing machine, going through countless needles, and somehow managing to get most of my corners to line up just-right.

Instead of quilting it in the traditional manner, I hand-stitched red X's at each corner...

and a zig-zag all the way around the outside.

It is lined with a thrifted flannel sheet and backed with a cotton Cowboy print fabric.

And it is big enough that even if this little boy grows into a 6'3" man like his Daddy, he will still be able to wrap up in it for a cozy, hand-made, Mama's Love warmth that you just can't get from a store-bought blanket.

I don't expect to ever get an award for this quilt, as it is far from being an example of quilting excellence, but I plan to enter it in our little town's quilt show anyway. I want the creative people in this area to see that you don't have to use expensive newly-minted fabrics to create a work of art. Just call it my little way of being a bit of a Repurpose-ing Missionary.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

It looks like your son is enjoying the quilt already. It is nicely done. It is perfect material for a boy.

JoJo said...

Beth, this is beautiful and will surely be an heirloom for your little boy. You should be very proud of yourself for finishing this project.

Dora said...

It's beautiful Beth, and I enjoyed all the background info you wrote about this very special quilt.

Marie said...

woohoo!! congratulations on finishing. It looks good!

Patti said...

Love it! What a treasure!
Congratulations on your big finish!
Isn't that a great feeling?

Blessings, Patti

kelley said...

Beth...what a wonderful quilt for your little guy...congrats on your finish!

Shana said...

That is a great quilt! When you put it in the show be sure to give the backgroud/history of the quilt. I think stories behind the quilts are just as much fun as the quilt itself.