Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Fourth of July Redux (Stitchers, be Sure to Read to the End)

This being the very first year we took either of the kids to see fireworks, we hyped the experience up for several days in advance to be sure that they would be prepared for all of the loud BOOMS and the darkness of night.

You could positively FEEL the excitement vibrating from their little bodies by the time we parked the car.


Our little town does a pretty good job each year of putting on a display worthy of staying up late. The local high school football field and adjacent baseball diamond serve as a gathering place for lawn chair, wheel chair, stroller, blanket and grass sitters.


The whole crowd hushed when the explosions started, but our Littel Man, in all of his 4-year-old exuberance was jumping up and down, arms in the air, shouting out the colors as they filled the sky,

"RED! BOOM!

BLUE! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!

YELLOW!

WHITE! BOOM!

ORANGE! BOOM-BA-BOOM-BOOM!"

We were so proud.

And then, after settling down a little, and sitting on his blanket, he proceeded to compose an impromptu "Song of the Fireworks", singing softly as he watched. I wish I had captured it on video- it was absolutely priceless.


Little Miss was very quiet, but took it all in with her big eyes, and made sweet little Ohhhh! and Ooooo! sounds, preferring to stay in my lap for most of the event, which made my little heart so very happy...

Aren't the festive events of life *that*much*better* when shared with a child?

I kinda got into the excitement myself... just a little...


By the time we finally got home, we had one completely wiped out and fast asleep child...

and one tired, but still too excited to settle down fake sleeper...

And as I tucked him into bed a little later, explaining that I was going to sleep right then as well, he sat straight up in bed, upset and confused, saying, "But Mama, you always watch a little TV before bed... and you haven't done your Stitching yet!"

Oh my.

8 comments:

Patty C. said...

Thanks for the post - I had to work on the 4th and didn't see the fireworks - Now I feel like i didn't miss the fun :)

And it's always so much better with kids !!!
Take Care

Missy said...

Thank you for raising what will surely be A PERFECT MAN!! lol lol
Great post and even better photos.

hugs
-missy-

Christina said...

Amazing fireworks! Your children are too cute for words! Looks like they had a fantastic time. Your son's comment made me chuckle, isn't it funny how they don't like to be out of routine?!

Christina said...

Amazing fireworks! Your children are too cute for words! Looks like they had a fantastic time. Your son's comment made me chuckle, isn't it funny how they don't like to be out of routine?!

Marie said...

This was a fun post. I enjoyed seeing your pictures and hearing Jack's excitement. I wish I could have heard his song. Maybe you could get him to repeat it (I'm sure he remembers all the words :^) and you can write it down for us!
He is growing up so fast! I'm glad you're enjoying your little ones. They're both pretty special!

Unknown said...

What a special Independance Day!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Such cutie's you have and they sure look like they enjoyed the fireworks!

Berit said...

Wonderful! Great firework pics and the kids are so cute about it. :)