Friday, April 29, 2011

My Apologies

When I designed the Sweet Lovers Love the Spring Silver Dollar Scissor Fob, I was under the mistaken impression that everyone was like me and had a small stash of old coins laying around. Either that, or that one could simply walk into his/her bank and buy a silver dollar for a... dollar!

Apparently, not so. After turning my only two silver dollars into fobs, one to keep and one to give away, I had a custom request to make another one. And do you think I (or she) could find a silver dollar anywhere? Nope.

I really hope this has not been the case for you. But if it has, may I offer a few solutions to our quandary:

1. Begin stalking your bank. Mine tells me that the old, large silver dollars turn up from time to time, but they always get grabbed up right away.

2. Use 2 fifty cent pieces instead! The diameter won't be as big and glorious, but it will still make a nicely sized and nicely weighted fob, with the same monetary value, so it can still be called a silver dollar fob. Here is the one I just finished using 2 fifties:


3. Some foreign coins are large and heavy and may make a decent substitute.

4. A metal washer from your husbands toolbox may also work, although I'm not sure how to address the big hole in the middle.

5. My husband offered to make silver dollar sized pieces of wood from some of our native Vine Maple or Wild Cherry trees. Contact me if this option interests you.

6. As a last resort, log onto ebay or amazon and purchase a collector silver dollar for way more than its face value ($20-$75).

2 comments:

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

Beth,
That is such a cool idea, girl!

How pretty! I love those scissors in the picture. I have a pair just like them and really add such a vintage flair to stitching time.

Have a great day!

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Jennie Lynn @ Appleseed Prim said...

My DH is Canadian. He says that a Canadian two dollar coin (apparently called a toonie) would work just fine. If you live in the Northeast Candadian money isn't that hard to come by. Other than that any international airport will have an exchange counter and some banks do as well.