Thursday, June 28, 2012

*NEW* E Pluribus Unum

This is the third installment in my growing collection of designs inspired by antique woven coverlets (see the other two here and here).

Coverlets in both geometric and figured patterns were widely popular during the early to mid 1800s. I find those with patriotic themes to be especially appealing. This is my own interpretation, combining elements from coverlets by different makers, and with the addition of the Latin words, “E Pluribus Unum” followed by the English translation, “Out of Many, One”. The Latin phrase is found on the seal of the United States of America. It originally suggested that out of many colonies or states emerge a single nation. But in recent years it has come to suggest that out of many peoples, races, religions and ancestries has emerged a single people and nation—the concept of the melting pot.

Stitch Count: 139 x 103
Model stitched on Picture this Plus 28ct. Sand
Using floss from The Gentle Art: 7055 Uniform Blue

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will be going out to my distributors and the shops on my automatic shipments list soon. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

4 comments:

marly said...

F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S. That's all!

Donna G. said...

Another great design Beth!

Kathy Barrick said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! Pinned this baby!

BASE said...

it looks cool...