Saturday, February 28, 2015

*NEW* IL 1817 (a Faithfully Reproduced Antique Sampler)

I spotted this 200 year old sampler in Kathy Barrick's collection and immediately fell in love. When she offered it for sale, I jumped at the chance to add it to my small but growing collection.

IL started or finished her work in 1817, comprised of a delightful collection of animals in pasture, birds in flight, houses, ponds with swimming swans, and fanciful trees. I had no idea of the detail contained in the faded stitches until I started using a magnifying glass to help me chart the color changes.

It took me two years to get her faded stitches charted, with lots of stops and starts along the way, but that hasn’t stopped me from counting her as a favorite. I hope you find her to be equally enchanting.

I would usually stitch with overdyed threads, but really wanted to avoid the variegation that comes hand in hand with specialty colors for this sampler. I felt that the solid and dependable colors of DMC would give a better interpretation of the antique’s faded appearance.

Stitch Count: 349 x 249
Model stitched with one thread over two on Weeks Dye Works 40ct. Straw

Using flosses from DMC: 167, 422, 433, 503, 610, 676, 680 (2 skeins), 829, 830, 869 (2 skeins), 934 (2 skeins), 935, 936, 3371, 3782, 3828, 3859

Frame by Valley House Primitives:
Profile: MCN, Color: Tavern Gold, Design: Marble

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and is already in the hands of my distributors and can be found in any of the shops that bought from me at Market. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com



1 comment:

Rita said...

WOW! I love this!