Tuesday, May 10, 2016

*NEW* Grand Old Flag Pin Drum

Drum roll please...

(tee hee, couldn't resist)

Introducing... my very first pin drum! I've never constructed one before, so it was a relief that it turned out on the first try... whew.
“You’re a Grand Old Flag”, is a patriotic march, written by George M. Cohan for his 1906 musical, "George Washington, Jr." The lyric came from an encounter Cohan had with a Civil War veteran who fought at Gettysburg. The two men found themselves next to each other and Cohan noticed the vet held a carefully folded but ragged old flag. The man reportedly turned to him and said, “She’s a grand old rag”. Many individuals and groups objected to his original version calling the flag a “rag”, so the lyrics were changed.

The song was first publicly performed February 6, 1906, and quickly became the first song from a musical to sell over a million copies of sheet music. A portion of the words go like this...

There’s a feeling comes a-stealing,
And it sets my brain a-reeling,
When I’m list’ning to the music of a military band.
Any tune like “Yankee Doodle”
Simply sets me off my noodle,
It’s that patriotic something that no one can understand.

You’re a grand old flag,
You’re a high-flying flag,
And forever in peace may you wave.
You’re the emblem of the land I love,
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev’ry heart beats true
‘Neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there’s never a boast or brag.
But should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.


Finish it simply, with a solid back and stitched front, stitch the bouquet twice so that your drum looks the same from either side, or follow my pdf tutorial to finish it patchwork-style (tutorial can be found by clicking on the "tutorials" tab at the top of my blog).

The chart includes a full alphabet and number set for customization.

Stitch Count: 62 x 71

Model stitched with one thread over two on Picture This Plus 32ct. Ale
Total size needed: 12 x 8

Using The Gentle Art threads: Brethren Blue, Parchment, Old Hickory, Endive, Piney Woods, Ruby Slipper

Conversion to DMC included.

Materials needed to finish Pin Drum:
2 feet “Vintage” Rick Rack from Lady Dot Creates.
Two 5x5 pieces of quilting cotton, your choice.
One 4x4 piece of fabric to patch bottom.
Optional 5x3 piece of fabric to create scissor pocket.
Crushed walnut shells or other filler of choice.


This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will soon be in the hands of my distributors and the shops on my auto-ship list. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

Here's what the backside will look like if you choose to follow my tutorial:


And stay tuned! I have another small patriotic design that I had hoped to release at the same time, but will have to wait until the frame arrives, hopefully very soon!

4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your drum looks fabulous, Beth! I always enjoy reading the little tidbits that you share with your designs.

basketnut said...

I love patriotic stitches - this looks adorable!

Jeanne said...

Love this one, I'll be picking up this chart.

gloriahanaway said...

Very nice Patriotic design. I was going to your etsy shop and your link is broken.