Monday, May 17, 2010

100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Recipe

After 4 failed attempts at making a sandwich bread that was both 100% whole wheat, but also light enough that it doesn't stick in my gullet, I finally have the right combination of ingredients.

Based on this recipe, but with adaptations from the past week and a half of experimenting, here is my very own highly-recommended recipe (if I do say so myself!) for anyone who is wanting to give up their dependency on store-bought whole wheat bread (which all-too-often is full of unneccesary preservatives and not-so-wholesome ingredients).

2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 1/2 Tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour, plus more for kneading

Measure yeast into a large mixing bowl. Add the warm water first, then the molasses (you could also use honey), oil, and salt. Gently combine, then stir in the flour until just combined.

Let this loose, shaggy dough rest, covered for 20 minutes.

Adding a sprinkling of whole wheat flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking to fingers and countertop, knead for about 10 minutes, until it is fairly smooth and elastic.

Lightly oil the inside of your mixing bowl (I don't even bother to clean out the dough scraps, unless there is quite a lot left in there), form the kneaded dough into a ball, and let it rise, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, or until it is puffy and doubled in size.

Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch bread pan (I can't recommend cast iron enough). Cover with a damp, lightweight towel or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow it to rise for about 1 hour, or until it has crowned about an inch over the rim of the pan.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

That bread looks soooo good...thanks for the recipe ! I give you credit for wanting to use that mower. ~Being GREEN is good~

Natasha said...

Thank you :) I have saved this to my recipe folder and I am also going to look into buying a cast iron bread pan. I love my cast iron pans, I use them everyday, my favorite is my Dutch oven LOVE it it is a well oiled machine LOL

I love fresh bread but I am guilty of never making it. But We eat alot of bread and I think it is so much more sensible to bake it yourself than buy store bought bread.

heather said...

This looks wonderful! I will have to give it a try!

heather said...

The first time I made this, I followed the recipe perfectly, but it didn't rise very well. It tasted fine though. Today I doubled it, tossed all the ingredients into my kitchen aid all together and now I have two perfect loaves, that did rise well, sitting on my counter! I love this recipe and I love that my "lazy bread method" actually worked better for me!