Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Feathered Friends

I have been collecting photos of some of our favorite visitors to our winter bird feeder. This is a pretty new hobby for us... not feeding the birds, we have been doing that for several years now... but actually having a feeder close enough to the windows that we get to watch and identify them. Even the kids are pretty good at naming some of the varieties now... it has turned out to be a great family activity. Often, the youngest will run to me, saying, "Mama, I wook froo your binocyoors? Deres a bird on the feeder!"

In no particular order, here are our most frequent guests:




Being pretty far out in the woods, and being used to only seeing them in the city, this one surprised us...

5 comments:

Patty C. said...

Thank you for sharing the photos - Aren't birds just beautiful !!

Meadows08 said...

Gorgeous bird photos!

If you're having trouble with Mr. Squirrel eating all your bird seed I recently read on someone's blog that the put Vaseline on the post of the bird feeder and they can no longer climb up it!

Catherine said...

Your photos are amazing! I had to show my middle guy - as he loves birds - especially bluejays - so he loved the picture of the Stellar jay!

Penny said...

Beautiful pics! And I'm so impressed that you know all the names of the various birds. I can identify only a robin and a blue jay!
Thanks for sharing these.

Bertie said...

Gorgeous pictures, love the variety of the birds in your garden:))