Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What I'm Working On

Two main projects have been consuming my creating time lately...

The first is my current sampler, which I am having such fun stitching. I, of course, have a constant supply of my own designs to stitch, and I must confess that some of them feel more like work than others. I often will be completely consumed by creating the design itself on my computer and thoroughly LOVE the end result, then find that I don't enjoy the stitching of it nearly as much.

Other times, I become so taken with a sampler that from start to finish it is a real joy. I won't tell you which ones are which, because it doesn't seem to matter that much in the end; other than the fact that some don't get set aside ever, and others get set aside multiple times.

Since stitching is my job, I don't usually have more than three in my workbasket at a time, and that means I don't have any secret WIP stashes mouldering away in a closet somewhere.

The only non-Heartstring Samplery piece in my workbasket is Mary Wigham, who sadly, has been in-progress for a very, very long time. I will finish her someday, yes I will... I am putting in the initials of all of my immediate family, from the Grandparent generation down to Nieces and Nephews. And since Nieces and Nephews are still being born, I figure I have lots of time, right?

When I'm not stitching, I have been spending more time on my Picnic Quilt (thusly named because I am making it specifically for that purpose), which is made entirely out of scraps from my stash. All 72 nine-patch blocks are now finished, and a 4 by 4 block section has been sewn together. This is going to be one cheerful bit of quilty-ness for us to spread under the sky come Summertime.

I am planning to back it with a dark-colored sheet, and haven't decided yet if I will put in a liner. I want it to be pretty compact when folded so that we can easily take it places.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Your "in progress" piece is stunning! Can't wait to see the entire piece - it looks like a fresh breath of spring with those lovely flowers!

Your picnic quilt looks perfect as well!

Hope your new dog family is all settling in - how great for your kids to get to experience the circle of life...

Blessings, Patti

Peggy Lee said...

Your current stitchy WIP is absolutely stunning! Love the colors.
The quilt is beautiful! I started one like that when my son was in preschool. He is now 24 and has given me a grandson....I STILL don't have it done!

Siobhán said...

What a neat quilt!

Love the WIP design. The flower looks soooo pretty.

I have always wanted to go to Oregon and the west coast, never having been further west than Colorado. After seeing pics of the dogs and reading about your new venture, I am suddenly glad that I don't live nearby... I know I'd succumb to puppy fever and be waiting for those puppies to be born!! Best of luck in your new venture--how neat! I'm excited to watch the journey through your blog.

Melissa said...

I love, love, love those flowers in your WIP design! Is this something you will be releasing? It's just gorgeous!

The quilt is fun and I can see it will be perfect for a picnic quilt!

Alice said...

What a great quilt! And I like the sampler in progress too.

Catherine said...

Love the peeks at your new wip! Your quilt is great - I'm sure we'll be seeing some fun picnic pics this spring and summer!