Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Change of Focus

I have this mug. I was going to buy just one recently, as a gift for my Grandma's birthday. But between the shelf and the checkout counter, I fell in love with it (and the idea of having a matching Grandma mug), and went back to get another.

As I sipped my coffee this morning, still piping hot from the brewer, one of my favorite features of the mug was slowly revealed... the word "Joy".

While I tend to be an optimistic person, I still get caught up in the daily grind, the common features of my current life as a housewife and Mama to 2 young children. Seeing that word "Joy" opens my eyes a little wider and reminds me to feel the vibrancy of the blessings I have been given.

Quite frankly, this is one of the main reasons I keep this blog. As a reminder to myself... a live journal of my life. I know that I tend to keep the personal stuff out of my writing, choosing to not share with you when there are ugly things going on in my head. The hard things I talk about with God and those close to me, and if I have to write them down, they go with pen onto paper. There are enough hard and ugly things around each of us every day; you don't need to read more here on my blog. I want this to be a place that you always visit and leave with a lighter heart...

My intent when I sat down this morning was just to share a couple of photos, and somehow my fingers started banging away, so bear with me if I'm rambling.

I guess I just want to share a little of my heart with you, to let you know that although I might come across as a woman who has it all together all-day every-day, firstly, it is not because I am trying to present myself as such, hiding behind a facade, and secondly, it is not because I live a charmed life. I have been blessed in so many tangible ways, but there are plenty of real-time struggles with money, health, inter-personal relationships, cleanliness, politics, emotions, you-name-it. I just happen to prefer looking for the highlights in life, fixing my thoughts on those moments of Joy interspersed with the grit.

And sharing those moments here with you, helps to cement them into my own narrative, creating a permanence for the Joy, allowing the grit to sift away for lack of attention.

Then, all it takes is a slight adjustment for my mind's eye to shift from a mere focus on Joy...

to an ever-thankful attitude of praise toward the One who created me.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Hi Beth, I needed this today. Life is a struggle. I have a best friend who lives next to our cottage who is a red wine in the box lover, antique and thrift shop nut and a wonderful person. She is very religious and we spent a long time talking about FAITH this summer. You know I grapple with religion. But, Karlene has told me, we are here for a reason, and to stop being so hard on myself.
I want to go back to the North Woods and just be!
Love to you, Deb

Joy said...

Love that mug! Does us good to count our joys. No matter what's going on, we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Trisha said...

I loved this post. Thanks for adressing the realness of life, and the joy we can find in it. I love the mug too!

Patti said...

You put into words exactly how I feel! Thank you so much for sharing this today! What a wonderful mug for yourself and your grandma...
Blessings, Patti

joann boswell said...

I love this. But does it make me a bad person that one of the emotions I had while reading this blog was one of jealousy? I'm such a mug hog. I love your thoughts, your pictures and your you-ness, sister.

Kerri said...

Thanks for brightening my day! I heard on the radio this morning that stay at home moms have one of the most stressful jobs. Having been there done that I would agree. I am glad you can see the joy in each day but, know you are not alone. If you need to share some of the "grit" go right ahead!!!!

I send you prayers of encouragment and happiness!