Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pumpkin Patch

I'm a horrible Mother.

I've never taken my kids to a Pumpkin Patch.

I think Pumpkin Patches are boring and lame and all kinds of ridiculous.

I think the Farmer who first thought up the idea of charging people large amounts of money to see his/her animals, ride on hay bales, walk through his corn patch, and choose a pumpkin was freaking brilliant.

Pumpkin Patches are a total racket.

I don't have a strong opinion about this or anything.

When the Kindergartener found out that there would be a field trip to a local Pumpkin Patch, she was over-the-moon excited. Seriously? I didn't get it. But decided to try to keep my opinion to myself and go along just because I love her so much.

The day before, she was so obsessed with anticipation that she whipped out her art supplies and created masterpieces dedicated to fields of pumpkins and riding on hay.
And the actual field trip was everything she hoped it would be and more.

Me? I would have been bored stiff, if I wasn't so caught up in watching her and her classmates run around with silly delighted grins on their faces.
She wanted to go back again the next day.

I said "No, honey, Pumpkin Patches are a once-a-year kind of trip".

Relief for me, disappointment for her.

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm of a child. Must be those grey hairs creeping into my mane.

3 comments:

Pam in IL said...

I love seeing all the pumpkins and watching the kids explore. I never realized just how many people don't know where produce and pumpkins come from until I went grocery shopping with my daughter in the big city.

Vanessa said...

I totally agree with you!!! We farm corn and soybeans in central Illinois and some years making it can be sketchy depending on the market prices for the crop, but boy those pumpkin patch people have it ALL figured out. We took our kids when they were younger and now our grandkids and we come away feeling like dips each year and lamenting that we need to get into the pumpkin patch biz. Truly a racket!

Marie said...

Pumpkin patch is not something I would do on my own, but it's always fun and worth it when you do it with kids.

I love the pictures of Katie and her friends.