Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Green Things

 Last week, my cucumber row started out like this:
By the end of the week, I was up to my elbows in these:
Do not be deceived, that bowl isn't small. That's my camping dishpan/BBQ ash bowl/pick-a-bushel-of-cukes-and-carry-it-out-of-the-garden-on-my-hip bowl.

So I made my house smell like pickles a few days in a row.
This week, the green beans started to produce, so the other night I made up my first canner full. The Farmboy came home, and said, "Mmmm... its been a long time since the house smelled like green beans". Yes, it has. We've had a run of bad bean years, with not much to show on the pantry shelves. I'm hoping to make up for it this year.
Today, while the other green things continue to grow like crazy, I'll be dealing with these:
That was Friday's harvest. I'm a bit scared about what I'm going to find out there today.

2 comments:

Marie said...

You're so industrious!
...and me? I guess I'm not canning this year. But I sure would like some of that zucchini!!

Kathy Barrick said...

Beth makes the BEST pickles in the whole wide world!! How do I know? Because she sent me a jar of my very own. How sweet is that??? (Yes, I begged!)