Friday, May 05, 2017

*NEW* Apostle's Creed

Appearing for the first time in print in 390AD, the Apostle’s Creed is said to have been created by the Apostles under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, with each of the twelve contributing one of the articles. Others suggest that it was spliced together with phrases from the New Testament. Sometimes called “Symbol of the Apostles”, it is an early statement of Christian belief; a creed or symbol. It is still widely used today by a number of Christian denominations for both liturgical and catechetical purposes, most visibly by liturgical churches of Western tradition. It was based on theological understanding of the Gospels, the letters of the New Testament, and to a lesser extent, the Old Testament. Because of its early origins, it does not address some issues defined in the Nicene and other Christian creeds, so it is usually used in conjunction with these other creeds to help define a particular denomination’s theological beliefs.

The simple fact of its long history of being recited and studied and memorized by believers of all stripes has caused me to be fascinated by it since I was a young child. I love it when things of value remain unaltered through time. This particular creed has indeed been re-worded by many over the years, making it either easier for modern ears to understand, or making adjustments for the sake of theology. The version that I chose to stitch onto my linen is from the 1662 version of the Book of Common Prayer.

Stitch Count: 131 x 425
Model stitched with one thread over two on R&R Reproductions’ 36 count Olde Town Blend

Using flosses from Classic Colorworks:
Poblano Pepper, Calico Kitty, Gingerbread, Honeycomb

And flosses from The Gentle Art:
Brandy, Wood Smoke, Harvest Basket (2 skeins), Shaker White,

As well as from Weeks Dye Works:
Loden, Red Rocks

Conversion to DMC included with the chart.

The lovely frame is an antique.

This design is now available in my etsy shop, and will soon be in the hands of my distributors and the shops on my auto ship list. If you prefer to bypass etsy and order directly through me, you can send me an email: beth@heartstringsamplery.com

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so glad to see you are posting once again! Imagine my surprise on this rainy spring day when I tapped your link and found a treasure trove of posts to read! Thank you! Your work is beautiful, as always!

Robin in Virginia said...

This sampler is simply gorgeous, Beth. Enjoy your weekend!

Edgar said...

The Apostle's Creed is just great!!! Another lovely piece from your ever so skillful needle, Thanks!! edgar

marly said...

Wonderful!

gracie said...

Oh my goodness....