Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pudding Purist

I remember the very first time I made from-scratch pudding for my Farmboy. He laughed at me and thought I was joking that it didn't come out of a box. I guess he didn't know this culinary feat was even possible. I giggled to myself about that one for a very long time. Now, in my Mother-in-Law's defense, she probably made pudding from scratch many times while he was growing up, as she is not fearful of tackling any number of kitchen techniques, and is actually quite a good cook, but my guess is that he wasn't paying close enough attention to notice. Now, he is so much wiser and has realized that I would much rather make something out of what I have on hand than take the trip to the grocery store!

The kids will grow up like I did, rarely eating pudding from a box (although it is nice to have in a pinch, and did you know that they make single serving portion packs now?). I remember waiting for AGES as the pudding in the pan was thickening, then even LONGER as it cooled in the special Tupperware pudding parfait cups that my Mama saved for the occasion. Our Boy is too young to torment with all of that waiting, so I whipped up a batch in the evening while he was going to sleep, so he got the joy of a special treat the next afternoon, without all of the foot tapping. Can you just see the pleasure in his eyes???


I, of course, doctored the recipe just a tad, and thought I would share it with you here.

Mexican Chocolate Pudding

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt
whipped cream to dollop freely on top.

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Whisk in the milk until blended. Add chopped chocolate.

Cook, stirring constantly, preferably with a whisk, over medium heat until chocolate is melted and mixture begins to boil. Continue to cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in vanilla and salt. Pour into 4 custard cups or parfait glasses or your favorite mug. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes or you will burn your tongue. If you like your pudding cold, you'll have to wait quite awhile, but the fastest method is to put your puddings into the freezer until set (but not frozen!).

Enjoy!

1 comment:

maggiesfarm said...

Homemade is always best! I always serve mine in tea cups (portion control).
Nothin' cuter than a little boy anticipating that first spoonful.:)
Merrie