Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Baking

A few days ago, I tried a new Banana Bread recipe that was low in oil and sugar, and surprisingly very yummy. My sous chefs heartily agree, and even the Daddy of the family gave his stamp of approval.

Here we are, the three of us, getting ready to mix it up (I have a confession for you- I photographed this moment, because, contrary to what you might believe about me, I don't generally let the kids in the kitchen while I am cooking. This is something that I am trying to change, because I want them to have lovely memories of spending time with me in a warm kitchen full of yummy scents, but they are still SO young, and I like to bake with speed and efficiency, and young children do not know the meaning of either of those words, which usually makes me want to pull my nose off and stamp it into the dust before thinking of sharing my sacred ground with them. There. Now you know the truth, that I am a Selfish Kitchen Hog):

The aprons were all hand-made (and not by me!) gifts... Katie's super adorable vintage inspired concoction with its perfect little tulip-shaped pockets was made by my friend Denise, who I really think should start making them to sell on etsy, don't you all agree? Jack and I received our aprons for Christmas from my sister Kim, but I'll have to show them to you later, because by now I'm sure you are wondering if I am EVER going to get around to giving you the recipe already. Well, here it is:

Surprisingly Yummy Health-Nut Banana Bread
(sorry, no photos- it disappeared way too fast)

5 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup bran
3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly rub two loaf pans with butter or oil.

Combine bananas, honey, oil, and vanilla.
In separate bowl, combine flour, bran, soda, and salt.
Gently add dry ingredients with wet, stirring until *just* combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips, again until *just* combined- the more you stir, the denser your loaf will become, and the goal is for a nice, tender crumb.

Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle pulls out clean (watch out for those chocolate chips!)

I will be throwing out every other banana bread recipe in my collection now that I have found this one (it is actually my adaptation of a recipe that I found online, but which is now eluding me, so I can't include a link, sorry).

If I win the drawing over on Paulette's blog, I will be getting myself a couple of these, so that my bread can be even yummier, for everything cooked in cast iron becomes immediately better than if cooked in other bakeware, don't you agree?

9 comments:

Paulette said...

Omgosh, this brings back memories of me wanting to hurry up and bake things before my little girls wanted to help.. I know that sounds selfish, but baking in the kitchen was the only thing I felt like I COULD do by myself! And I like a very clean workspace. That last statement, in itself, should be 'nuff said. ;)

Paulette

Dora said...

That recipe looks so good and I like the fact that it has less sugar and oil. I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Christi said...

Soooo glad that I am not the only kitchen hog. My two year old recently told us "No wan(t) help. Me do myself" I'm trying, too. That cookie recipe I e-mailed you was great to do with Natalia, because she could do everything (It's not nearly as healthy) Thanks for being honest.

The Boyds said...

Thank you! can't wait to try it! I have a quinoa chocolate chip one I am going to try, let you know how it goes!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

The kids look adorable but we all know what you mean about the little "helpers"! More hurt than help but you and they will always remember it fondly!

barbara r-g said...

obviously these sweet little ones have not suffered from your selfish kitchen ways. there smiles tell me these are well loved and played with kids. we all have our limits. i remember the kitchen always being a hard place to share when ya just want to eat.

Irene said...

Guess I'm not a "health nut", as I kept looking for the nuts to be put in :) LOL

Karan said...

Another great pic. TFS the recipe. :0)

Marie said...

a very cute picture. but I'm sorry to say that I haven't really read the recipe yet. I got stuck on "pull my nose off and stamp it into the dust"...! :^) Did you really say that?!! : ( >