Monday, January 24, 2011

Choosing Threads

When I have a design idea in my head, I pick colors in my software that represent what I want the finished piece to look like so I can play with color and balance. But the colors in my software almost always misrepresent the actual threads.

So the next step I take is to dig through my pile of linen and threads and play until I find the shades I am looking for, and that also look their best with the background fabric.

Sometimes I will find a color that is perfection in my hand, then lay it on the linen and *ack*, it suddenly looks completely wrong.

Let Us Be Truly Thankful, the March Edition has been put on top of my Works In Progress pile...

Yes, that linen is green! I have never stitched on colored linen, but I just couldn't resist this time around. Get your supplies ready- once started, these little samplers only take a few days to stitch up. I plan to release this one soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these colors. What software do you use?

Dora said...

Love those colors for March. I have used that fabric color before and I think it's the perfect choice for your newest design.

primitivebettys said...

Beautiful colors! The Bitter Betty was one of my fav pieces of linen! I'm going to need to get more of it! :)

Deb said...

Hey Beth, when I used to needlepoint, a lot of the designers would paint the canvas's without thinking can that color be matched with a fiber? Now you go into a store and it is hard to make a decision because their are SO many colors of fibers to choose from! Did you know a lot of cross stitch designers also design needlepoint, does that mean that they are "STITCH HITTERS? !!!!!!

Jennie Lynn @ Appleseed Prim said...

I know what you mean. Very rarely do any of my designs actually end up the same colors that I designed them to be. The colors on the program are simply "guidelines" and once I take out linens and threads all bets are off!!!

Catherine said...

Lovin' it! Started on the Valentine's Edition today! Would you mind listing the thread colors? I might be going to my LNS soon and I know I don't have many WDW in my stash!