Thursday, October 04, 2012

Have You Ever?

In all your live-long days, seen anything like this?
Cross-stitch on a ginormous scale, stitched on burlap with wool yarn...
Made to be a rug? Wall hanging? Table runner?
The Molter-Reinhard Co. of Chicago was an art needlework company that manufactured a line of patterns and designs to be finished by the you-and-I of the 1930's.
I couldn't find much information out there on the web about this company, but did spot this hooked rug pattern on burlap for sale on ebay.
I'd love to hear your stories, if you own one of their vintage pieces, or know more about the company.
Very obviously hand-finished, I simply could not resist buying and seeing for myself this completely new-to-me form of vintage needlework.
And for just sixteen dollars, including shipping, I doubt you could have resisted either.
Which makes me really glad I found it first.

8 comments:

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

You lucky ducky...I have a rug hooking/needlework book with this type of rug-cross stitch in it...was really taken with the large format cross stitch look and was sorely tempted to try it myself...which I might do...yours is the first rug of this type I have seen up close...thanks so much for the close up shots and for sharing your find. Cheers, Susan

gracie said...

I remember as a young girl, we had a "teacher" at our neighborhood playground who did x-stitch on burlap. She taught us to do x-stitch on gingham cotton.

Vickie said...

Cool! Very cool. I would not have passed it up. ;)

Ashley said...

Just found this on ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1944-Paragon-Art-Linen-Co-Cross-Stitch-Rug-No-360-2-Printed-Pattern-/170893276638?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2509882431112781384%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D230856775199%26

Joy said...

I've never seen anything like it...glad it found a good home:)

Patti said...

You are lucky you found it before me ;)
Chicago, you say?!?! Sounds like I need to try some research :) will let you know if I find anything...
Blessings, Patti

Sherry said...

After working at the fabric store, I thought I had seen burlap and monks cloth used for about everything but this is a new one to me. Makes sense though even though burlap would be really hard to work with. Lots of burlap dust and lint. I formed allergies while working so closely with all the different fabrics.

Zurainny Ismail said...

A rustic beauty that deserves a place on the wall. :D