Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Grace Like Rain

It has been raining non-stop here for going on three days now. The beginning of January was much drier than normal, and the skies are trying to make up for it. The pastures, ditches, streams, are swollen with the extra water, running over roads and changing the appearance of our drive to school and back.
Memories fill my head on those drives, of living in Northern Washington in a valley that had big floods every Spring. Once the rains let up and we knew the roads were safe, my Dad would pile the older kids into the car and we would go driving, just to see what all that extra water looked like. Our sump pump would be working overtime in the basement while we drove and drove, making up names for the new lakes and streams. There was always a feeling of excitement amongst us kids, because it was all strange and unbelievable how a little water could so drastically change things.
Now that I'm older and a property owner, I am thankful that we live on a hill, rather than in a valley. I have sympathy for those who are dealing with sump pumps and overflowing ditches, and livestock that can't graze because their pastures are flooded. There's still an element of excitement though, as I see the changed landscape.
Its all minor this time, no houses threatened that I've heard of, just extra water everywhere. Puddles that the little Girl just can't resist splashing in, and squishy, saturated ground to walk across as I do my evening chores.
Oh, and that roof of ours, with its soft spot and slow leak. There is that too. I'm trying to not think about the quote we got yesterday for tearing off the shingles, fixing the rotten sheeting, and re-covering our house (with metal this time)... hopefully the next quote won't be quite as daunting. Lets just say the first quote was for more than my little needlework business made in the entirety of 2012.
Instead, I'm purposing to keep the song that keeps going through my head fixed. Right there. In my head.

"Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me
Hallelujah, all my stains are washed away, washed away"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, I'm so jealous and envious of your rain. I think my area is down over 14 inches and each time we drive the bridge over the Kansas River, I wonder how long it's going to be before it runs dry if we don't get some good, substantial rains. Worry is constant for the pasture and horses too with the drought.

Our roof was replaced, courtesy of the insurance company, a year ago due to hail damage. We too had priced metal, which I love the look of, but the cost made me gasp. Here in the high plains, the cost as akin to winning the lottery!

Again, I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better. Enjoy each day!
Sand

Diane said...

Today it's been CRAZY warm here in northeast PA- mid fifties with rain falling. Lot's of grace all over the place! Love that song by Todd Agnew.
Diane Grick
Silver Creek Samplers

Thoeria said...

What beautiful pics....really stunning.
Our heat wave has broken too...with some lovely rain last night. Not sure what the day will bring though!

gracie said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures....

Heather said...

It's not so bad down in the valley where I live, I hope others are doing okay.

I hope that next quote is more reasonable than the first, we've been getting quotes too and it's not so fun.

Simply Victoria said...

You have an amazing eye for photography. I love the pictures but I love what the words to the song mean even more!