Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Slight Detour

Since I already have my sampler models finished for all charts to be released the remainder of 2009, I decided to take a little break this last weekend from stitching. Instead, I pulled out a hooked rug (my first) that has been languishing in a tote for a year and a half.

Rug hooking is a craft that I have long wanted to learn, but I have found that it isn't an easy one to do in the vicinity of small children, so after a brief start when Katie was a newborn, I have patiently waited to continue.

Here is my rug as of today (the design is based on a rug in Pat Cross' book Purely Primitive)...

Being my first, and not being sure whether or not I would truly like the craft, I am hooking it on a (free to me) burlap coffee bag panel, rather than spending money on rug linen. In the true spirit of the pioneer women before me, I suppose!

I have really enjoyed the small bit that I have done thus far, and have every intention of continuing to learn. But, despite warnings to the contrary, it will most definitely NOT replace my first love of stitching samplers; a fact that should make the majority of my readers very happy.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Beth, It's beautiful! I adore hooked rugs as well and the finished pieces are so expensive. I tried rughooking once, but it is definitely not for me... Keep up the good work!

Blessings, Patti

Nancy said...

Lovely project Beth, and I like how you're stitching it on a burlap coffee bag. How fun! I'm also glad it doesn't replace your love of stitching!

mainely stitching said...

Rug hooking appeals tremendously to me, too! But for me, the biggest problem is really lack of space. The kids will get older, but will the house grow? LOL. LOVE your prim horse. :D

Gayle said...

Your rug looks good so far. I'm addicted to rug hooking myself - it finally beat out stitching and quilting, if you can believe that!

JoJo said...

Beth, I'm excited that you also 'do' rughooking. I'm a rughooker too and also the administrator of Wool Snippets, a rug hooking forum. www.woolsnippets.multiply.com/

I know you're more than busy with your children, home and stitchery but should you ever wish to get more involved with hooking, I hope you'll stop by, join Multiply and see what we're up to.

P.S. I didn't make the house grow when I got involved in hooking....I just got rid of lots of stuff so the hooking could take over...LOL.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Beth ~
You're doing a fantastic job on your first rug. Keep us posted on your progress.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren