Wednesday, November 09, 2011

*NEW* A Bird of Courage Wool Applique Pattern

There is just something about Turkeys that make them fascinating, don't you think?

Ben Franklin wrote, after seeing a new national emblem depicting a poorly-rendered Bald Eagle,
I am on this account, not displeas'd that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turk'y. For in Truth the Turk'y is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America.... He is, (though a little vain and silly, it is true, but not the worse emblem for that,) a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British Guards, who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

I wanted to add a little more to the design, by way of a natural element, so I did some searching and found that the Oak Leaf represents Bravery. Having spent a good portion of my young years in Southern Oregon where wild Turkeys and Oak trees abound, I thought it a very fitting combination.

I hope you enjoy stitching this design as much as I did!

Included in this pattern booklet are full-size, ready to cut out template pieces, a line drawing to help you with piece placement, and some basic instructions.

For now, this pattern will only be available through my etsy shop, or by contacting me directly.


Patti said...

Oh Beth! I absolutely love it! The patterned wool, the braided edging, the acorns & oak leaves - absolute perfection! Enjoy your new turkey! I am off to Etsy to purchase :)
Blessings, Patti

Heather said...

It's wonderful!

Jen said...

He turned out great! Can I put an order in for your next wool applique to be an owl?? Love them, like everybody else... Oh, why did I sell that owl hooked rug years ago??? :) Big sigh...