Thursday, September 06, 2012

A Very Chocolatey Zucchini Cake

There are already a million other recipes on the web for Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Probably a few more in your recipe boxes too. So I don't expect you to drop everything, thinking my recipe is in any way the best out there. But it is pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. I started with this one, making changes to suit my taste.
Much more cocoa, for one. If I'm going to eat chocolate, its gotta be r e a l l y chocolatey. So chocolatey that the flavor lingers on my tastebuds for an eternity after the last crumb has been swallowed.

I'll never claim to be the end-all expert on baking or chocolate, but if your current version of this recipe is somewhat lacking, you might want to give mine a try.
A Very Chocolatey Buttermilk Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup olive oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini, skin left on, but seeds removed
dark chocolate chunks, to taste

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a bundt or angel-food cake pan.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.

All at once, add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until just combined. Fold in the grated zucchini.

Pour batter into prepared pan, then sprinkle the top liberally with the dark chocolate chunks. I suppose you could use milk chocolate if you prefer, but in my opinion, the darker the chocolate, the better.

Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched by your finger (or your preferred method of testing for done-ness).

Let cool slightly, then slice and serve. We like a dab of cream cheese frosting or vanilla ice cream with ours, but this cake can also stand easily on its own, with a frosty glass of milk, or steaming mug of coffee.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Paula said...

Holy Toledo! That looks awesome!

Deb said...

Oh that looks wonderful. Anything with chocolate is a winner in my book. And Zucchini makes it healthy, right?

Colleen said...

Oh my gosh, looks so good!

marly said...

Well the groundhog ate the last of our zucchini and thank goodness. I love chocolate zucchini cakes but scarfed down 10 sticky buns so cake should be avoided. For a few days.