Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Back to School

All across Oregon today, there are Mothers weeping and Mothers rejoicing.

I fall somewhere in the middle.

Sad, reluctant, not ready to let him go for full days, but not exactly weeping.

Happy that although he is a big First Grader, and wearing a rather grown-up-looking Robot t-shirt, he still wanted to take his Thomas backpack, and wear his Lightning McQueen sweatshirt.

Sad for the lack of his daily presence in the house while being rather happy and excited for his happiness and excitement.
Because I remember just how much I adored going back each Autumn. And I want him to continue to enjoy and look forward to school as well.

So I dropped him off with a healthy lunch and a secret note hidden for him to find later. A great big squeezy hug from myself and his little Sis, then we were off, and there he still is, tugging at my heartstring. Which has never been stretched this far for this long.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

More squeezy hugs!

Penny said...

All kinds of emotions seem to come into play when our babies return back to school.....whether it be the first day of kindergarten, the first day of high school, or the first day of college! All of those days are clear in my head for all 3 of my girls.... oh, we mothers sometimes have it quite difficult.... not really knowing how we feel about all the changes in our lives!!
I hope your little guy absolutely LOVES first grade, and that you learn to love it, too! You'll be amazed at how quickly that time goes by, once you get used to it.... I can even honestly say that I sometimes wished the school day was just a tad bit longer, :) especially when out running errands and would have to dash home to be there for them!

Barb said...

What a cute little boy! I wish him a great year!!!

Patti said...

I understand your mixed emotions completely. And the stretched heart strings... I am dealing with it on a new level as we took our oldest off to college for the first time this weekend. I find myself crying completely randomly, but so happy for him as well... Cherish the moment :)
Blessings, Patti