Friday, September 21, 2012

Italian Plums

For several years, we have been tenderly caring for an Italian Plum tree. It started its life as a healthy sapling, but was severely damaged its first winter by ice and snow.
Every Summer, I anxiously check for what is perhaps one of my very favorite tree fruits... and every year, I have been disappointed.
But this year... ah... this year, at last... my wait is over.
Just a few more days, two weeks at the most, and they will be ready to eat, every meal of the day.
How many ways can Italian Plums be eaten? I plan to find out.

3 comments:

maggiesfarm said...

I'm up to my eyeballs in plums (and tomatoes) and heartily recommend this as part of a plum reduction plan: http://kissmyspatula.com/2010/07/19/rustic-almond-plum-galette/

I scattered a few blackberries and blueberries over the plums, definitely a good idea.

marly said...

I recently saw the Italian Plum Dumplings on Cathy's Needle and Thread blog and also found them on allrecipes.com. Look awfully good!

tangerinedream73 said...

Beth you should ask Cathy Boyd over at With Needle and Thread blog http://needleandthread.blogspot.com/ her mother makes plum dumplings using Italian plums. She swears that they are truly scrumptious. Tell her I sent you:) she has a post from early in September all about them.


Amy Varnell-Miller