Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Aftermath

I spent a good hour or more on New Year's Day cleaning up the mess left behind after our Whittaker Christmas celebration. I gleaned a pile of boxes that I can re-use for shipping purposes, along with that huge, lovely pile of only slightly crumpled white tissue paper. I flattened and folded the boxes that I can't re-use for recycling, along with the wrapping paper and plastic bags. Just a quarter of a paper grocery bag is garbage when all is said and done.

But then, after all was sorted and ready to go, I did a little research and found out that 90% of the wrapping paper used by various family members is actually NOT recylable- WHAT? I thought all paper could be reduced, re-used, and recyled! Apparently not. So next year, I will be encouraging those that I know to do a little research ahead of time, and choose wrapping papers that won't end up as waste.

No comments: