Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Visit to the Sandy Historical Society Quilt Show

Our town is quite small. You wouldn't expect to walk into the high school gymnasium and find a display of over 170 quilts, now would you? But this is the craft of choice in our area, and it was packed out with a lovely variety of handiwork.

From the truly humble upcycled denim masterpiece I made for my Boy (I use the word humble in the best sense. I really am proud of this piece, while also realizing that it is by no means an example of true quilting craftsmanship; its not even quilted!).

To the sweetly creative and personal quilt made by my Mama for my Girl (click the picture for a closer view... that's me in the kitchen decorating a cake!).

There were lap quilts...

bed quilts (love the fabric prints and colors in this one the best of them all)...

embroidered quilts...


intricately quilted quilts...

funky what-in-the-world quilts...

machine appliqued quilts...

and itty-bitty-dime-sized pieces hand appliqued to quilts...




there was even one rather primitive quilt (a rare decorating style in the West) that I know many of you will love...

As with last year's visit, my Budding Photographer took his camera along and captured a few favorites...





And the most incredible quilt of all, once again, I neglected to capture with my own camera... most likely because I was being shooed out of the way by a certain Boy so that he could get it for himself. I'm not usually one to gravitate toward art quilts, but the mastery of technique amazes me, and this one was just too whimsical and delightful to NOT notice. I'm pretty sure it got Best in Show, or whatever the Grand Prize ribbon is called at such places.

The end.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow, how beautiful. I quilt, but nothing along those lines. Thanks for sharing.

Mouse said...

oooo lovely :) thanks for the tour .. I'm with you on your favourite too.. love those subtle colours .... like the one on the end as well but would have that on on a bed or a couch ..lol ... I quilt a bit soo love looking how other peeps stitch theirs :) take care and happy stitching :) love mouse xxxx

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

I am constantly amazed at the creativity and skill of people sitting in their own homes, producing masterpieces. Thank you. Irene xxx

Catherine said...

Eye candy!! Thanks for sharing! Your budding photographer did a fantastic job!